Friday, February 08, 2013

Top Hat Teddy Bear

One of the things I encourage in my Visual Development class is experimentation and innovation with traditional mediums. This evening I worked on a composition that was partly a demo and partly just creating with my students while they were going the same. I came up with the sketch for this fellow with graphite pencil and then proceeded to add tone with markers. Once it was blocked in I picked up the pencils again to shade the image with gradients and texture. I started with an HB pencil then followed up with 2B and 4B and 6B to achieve rich darks. The higher the B number the darker the graphite. 


Afterwards when I scanned the drawing I used Photoshop to manipulate the color balance so that it looked as if it was done with blue pencil instead of gray markers and graphite.


It's been a little while since I was able to creatively engage with my students since much of my focus as of late has been on working directly with them on their own art. Feels good to have my own fun again.

No comments: