Monday, August 19, 2013

Drawing on brown paper - part 4

In this installment of the brown paper drawings I was creating as class demos at Cal State Northridge in 2007 I added something extra to the series of black marker head sketches. Namely white coloring pencil for the hair topped off with white-out. Remember typewriters? Those contraptions in the days before word processing on computers? When there was a typing error a little white-out was dabbed on the page and the error was corrected by typing over it. Not only was it handy for those annoying mishaps it's also great as white paint in certain situations. Once down I smeared it with my finger to get the desired effect. These characters are somewhat reminiscent of the movie The Time Machine from the 1960s. There were characters called Morlocks whose looks were influential in my approach to these images.




No comments: